Looking for a nutrient-rich, yummy recipe for that hearty nursing appetite you have? Try this delicious macaroni dish that is chock full of calcium, folates and protein-all things that breastfeeding moms need in order to nourish their own bodies while providing nutrition for baby.
¾ pound whole wheat macaroni pasta
1-2 cooked and cubed sausages
1 bunch of rinsed and dried spinach, chopped
½ cup crumbled goat cheese
½ small red onion, diced
2-4 tablespoons of olive oil
Salt to taste
1) Bring a large pot of water with a dash of salt to a boil.
2) Over medium-high heat, warm the oil in a skillet and add sausage, stirring regularly for 5 minutes.
3) Add onion to the sausage and oil and stir for 3 minutes. Then stir in spinach until wilted.
4) Once the water has boiled, cook the whole wheat pasta until al dente.
5) Drain pasta, saving one cup of water from the pot.
6) Add pasta and ½ cup of pasta cooking water to the skillet and stir over medium heat until liquid is absorbed.
7) Add goat cheese and stir until creamy. Use the remaining ½ cup of pasta cooking water if necessary to achieve desired creaminess.
8) Stir and serve immediately.
*Note* This recipe is not intended for pregnant moms as it contains goat cheese which is considered a soft cheese. However, even if you’re not pregnant, it’s always a good idea to check the ingredients to ensure your cheeses are made from pasteurized milk. To learn more about what foods are not safe during pregnancy, click here.