This blueberry waffle or pancake is a great breakfast option for the first trimester when carbs seem like the only food you can stomach with morning sickness. It might taste like a decadent treat but fortunately this recipe is also full of nutritious ingredients like whole grain oats, antioxidants, protein and healthy fats. Recipe yields one pancake or waffle-- just enough for mom!
- 1/2 cup of old fashioned rolled oats
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 teaspoons of sugar or raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of grated lemon zest (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil or melted butter
- ½ cup of frozen blueberries
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup
1) Preheat griddle for pancake or waffle iron for a waffle.
2) Combine oats, salt, sugar or honey, and baking powder in a blender and pulse until mixed.
3) Add egg, vanilla, lemon zest, milk, and oil or butter to the mixture and blend for 30 seconds until well-blended.
4) Allow batter to sit for 8-10 minutes.
5) Pour batter onto waffle iron or griddle and cook until golden brown.
6) Microwave blueberries in a bowl for 1 minute. Add maple syrup and stir.
7) Drizzle topping onto waffle or pancake and enjoy!
Recipe transcribed from: fittobepregnant.com