Feeling under the weather? As we wrote about, nothing is worse than being sick and pregnant! Try this easy, healthy chicken soup recipe for you and your family. It will be sure to warm your body, soothe your throat and satisfy your tummy!
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken
- 2 quarts of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 small bunch of fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups of chopped onion
- 1 cup of chopped carrot
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 4 teaspoons of lemon juice
1) Remove skin from chicken and discard.
2) Carve meat from breasts, thighs and drumsticks and place in large pot.
3) Add broth and parsley and cook on high heat bringing to a boil.
4) Let simmer while preparing remaining ingredients.
5) Heat olive oil in a different large soup pot and add onion, carrot and celery.
6) Cook over medium heat and stir often for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
7) Place strainer over vegetables and carefully pour stock in from other pot. Discard any remaining bones and parsley.
8) Add chopped chicken and lemon juice and continue to heat and stir.
9) Add salt and pepper to taste.
10) Serve and enjoy!
Suggestions to spice it up!
- Simmer broth with herb mix to infuse with flavor (e.g. sage, thyme and rosemary).
- Add whole grains such as brown rice, couscous or quinoa while soup is simmering.
- Add other frozen veggies to cook while soup is simmering (corn, peas, broccoli, green beans, etc.).
- Add black beans or diced tomatoes.
- Add grated parmesan or pecorino to each bowl before serving.
- Add whole wheat pasta (great mom hack for picky toddlers).