Craving carbs during your pregnancy? Whip up this tasty breakfast treat that is sure to satisfy your morning hunger pangs! This guilty pleasure recipe does have some redeeming nutritional value, believe it or not. The citrus from the orange zest may help alleviate morning sickness discomfort and cranberries prevent UTIs which are common during pregnancy.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup and 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¾ cup dried of cranberries
- ⅔ cup and 2 tablespoons of low-fat buttermilk
- ¼ cup of canola oil
- 1 tablespoon of grated orange zest
- 1 large egg
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add cranberries and stir.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk ⅔ cup of buttermilk, oil, zest and egg. Combine with flour mixture and stir.
4. Spread mixture onto floured surface and knead thoroughly. Flatten mixture to a 9-inch round. Use a 2-inch wide glass to cut six scones from mixture. Combine leftover dough and repeat. Place on baking sheet and sprinkle with remaining buttermilk and sugar.
5. Bake 10 minutes until golden brown.
6. Cool scones on wire rack and then serve and enjoy!