One of the best ways to prepare for those first weeks at home with baby is to have a stash of premade freezer meals that can be easily heated and served. You won’t likely have the time or the energy to cook as you and your partner navigate your new life with your little one. Prepare this delicious and healthy eggplant parmesan recipe before your due date and pop it in the freezer to be saved for a dinnertime that is right around the corner. You will thank yourself later that you took the time to prepare ahead!
- 2 cans of whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 large eggplants , sliced across into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup of plain dried breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 pound of whole fresh mozzarella, cut into large chunks
1. Puree tomatoes in a food processor and transfer to a medium sauce pan. Stir in olive oil. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer until thickened for approximately 30 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper.
2. In a colander, toss eggplant with 1 ½ teaspoons of salt and let stand for 30 minutes. Press slices of eggplant between a double layer of paper towels to dry. Dip eggplant slices in flour, allowing excess to fall, and then dip in eggs mix. Sprinkle lightly with breadcrumbs.
3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet and set aside. Heat oil over skillet until sizzling.
4. In batches, fry the eggplant slices until golden. (Approximately 2-3 minutes per side) Transfer to rack and drain.
5. Spread one cup of tomato sauce in a 9 by 13 baking dish. Layer half the eggplant over sauce and sprinkle with ¼ cup of parmesan cheese. Top with 1 ½ cups of tomato sauce and then remaining eggplant. Finish with remaining sauce and place mozzarella slices on top. Add another ¼ cup of parmesan cheese.
6. *** IF FREEZING FOR LATER USE: Do not bake. Wrap dish tightly with foil and freeze for up to 3 months.
7. When you decide to cook meal, remove from freezer, remove foil and bake for 40-45 minutes until browned and bubbling.
Recipe transcribed from: