As your parents probably told you when you were little, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And pregnancy is no exception to the rule. This breakfast scramble provides valuable nutrients for you and your baby-to-be like calcium, protein and vitamins A, C and K. It’s a yummy and healthy way to start the day for you and your other family members too!
• 4 large eggs
• 1 tablespoon of milk
• ¼ teaspoon of kosher salt
• 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
• 1 green onion, finely chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
• 2 cloves of garlic, minced
• 1 heaping cup of leafy greens (baby kale, spinach, Swiss chard or all of the above)
• ½ cup cooked of whole grains (wheatberries, farro, barley or millet)
• 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh chives
• Freshly ground black pepper
• Sea salt
• Crusty bread, toasted English muffins or warm corn tortillas for serving
1. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and salt; set aside.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add green onion and garlic and sauté until soft, approximately 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Add greens, grains and remaining tablespoon of olive oil and sauté until greens are wilted and grains are warmed, approximately 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Decrease heat to low and pour in egg mixture
5. Stir gently to combine eggs with the greens and grains. Continue stirring until eggs are softly scrambled, 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Remove from the heat, stir in chives and season with pepper.
7. Serve hot with a sprinkling of sea salt on top and crusty bread, toasted English muffins or warm corn tortillas on the side.
Recipe transcribed from: FitPregnancy