A good sandwich during pregnancy can be hard to come by with the limitations of what is safe to eat. Deli meats are out due the listeria risk and tuna fish is high in mercury. What’s a hungry pregnant gal to eat for lunch? Try this yummy Mediterranean Chickpea Pita with Tahini Dressing to satiate your midday tummy rumbles. If you’re wary about eating feta during pregnancy, just skip it (though it should be perfectly safe when pasteurized).
- 1 14 ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- ½ English cucumber diced
- 2 plum (Roma) tomatoes, seeds removed and chopped
- ½ cup of finely diced red onion
- ½ cup of chopped cilantro or flat-leaf parsley
- 4 ounces (1 cup) of pasteurized feta cheese
- 1/3 cup of chopped black olives
- ¼ cup of raisins
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon of ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon of sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 4 whole grain pitas, sliced in half
- In a large bowl, toss together chickpeas, bell pepper, tomato, cucumber, cilantro or parsley, red onion, feta cheese, raisins and olives.
- Place the olive oil, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, cayenne, cumin, salt, pepper and water in a blender and blend until smooth. Add tahini mixture to the chickpea mixture and stir to coat.
- Stuff chickpea mixture into pita halves.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe transcribed from: fit PREGNANCY