Protein is very helpful in pregnancy. We encourage moms to eat protein with every meal and snack. This recipe is not only yummy and family friendly but also full of protein from the turkey, black beans and quinoa.
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 14.5 ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup jarred salsa
- 1/2 cup rinsed quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cilantro for garnish
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- When the skillet is hot add in the diced onion and cook for about 2 minutes until it starts to soften.
- Add in the ground turkey and minced garlic and cook until the meat is almost cooked through, breaking it up into crumbles with a spoon as it cooks.
- Stir in all the spices and the diced green chiles, cooking for another minute.
- Add in the black beans, corn, fire roasted tomatoes, salsa and quinoa, stirring until everything is combined.
- When the mixture starts to bubble add in the water, cover the skillet with a lid and lower the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked, it should still have a slight bite to it, but not be hard and crunchy.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top and cover with the lid cooking until the cheese is melted.
- Serve as is, in tortillas for tacos, or on top of your favorite greens.
The recipe is suitable to freeze for later use.