Eggs are an amazing source of protein during pregnancy and also contain vital nutrients for baby’s development such as choline, zinc and B-12. This delicious Sourdough Kale Strata can be easily made for breakfast, lunch or dinner and is not only full of the pregnancy super food--eggs, but also contains a hearty helping of kale which is rich in folate and iron.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large finely diced shallot
- 6 cups of kale, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 10 eggs
- 2 cups of 2% milk
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- 4 cups of sourdough bread (best if stale) torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 ½ cups of shredded gruyere cheese, divided
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add shallots and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add kale and salt and cook for another 2 minutes, set aside.
- Coat a 9-by-13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add kale mixture, torn bread and 1 cup of cheese. Toss evenly and spread over pan.
- Pour egg mixture into the dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Cover strata with aluminum foil and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes until puffed and golden brown around edges.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving and enjoy!
Recipe transcribed from: fitPREGNANCY.com