Squash and kale may not sound like ingredients you would find on your average pizza but they do add some vital nutrients that benefit both you and your baby while pregnant. Loaded with vitamin A for your immune system and C for baby’s brain, this unique pizza is fortunately not only healthy but delicious too! And what pregnant mom doesn’t love a good pizza?
- 1 cup of frozen winter squash purée, thawed (or mash thawed cubed squash)
- 1 tablespoon of fresh sage, finely minced (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons of olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
- ½ pound of pizza dough, pricked and oiled
- 1 ½ cups of chopped kale
- 4 ounces of crumbled pasteurized goat cheese
- 6-ounce chicken breast cooked in 2 teaspoons of oil
- 1 cup of thinly sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons of pumpkin seeds
1) Combine squash, sage, salt and pepper in a bowl and set aside.
2) Sautee leeks in 2 teaspoons of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir often until leeks are lightly browned. Stir in sugar and balsamic vinegar and remove from heat.
3) Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Coat a baking sheet with 1 teaspoon of oil or use a sheet of parchment paper.
4) Roll the dough into a 12-by-9-inch rectangle that is no more than ¼ an inch thick. Transfer to prepared baking sheet and prick crust with a fork all over.
5) Brush dough with 2 teaspoons of oil
6) Spread squash mixture over pizza dough and top with cheese, kale, leeks, chicken and mushrooms.
7) Bake for 15 minutes.
8) While pizza is baking, toast pumpkin seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat until they begin to pop.
9) Add pumpkin seeds to baked pizza, serve and enjoy!
Recipe transcribed from: Fit Pregnancy