You may be feeling overwhelmed if you’ve recently found out that you have gestational diabetes and need to change your diet. The good news is that there are lots of health recipes out there that are nutritious and low in sugar. Try these yummy Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms for a healthy dinner for you and your family!
- 8 large Portobello mushrooms
- Light olive oil spray
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large bunch of spinach, chopped
- 1 cup of low-fat ricotta*
- 1 tablespoon of finely grated lemon rind
- ½ teaspoon of dried oregano
- 7 ounces of tomato, finely chopped
- 5 ounces lean cooked ham, roughly chopped*
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2) Trim stems from mushrooms and finely chop the stems only
3) Spray lightly with oil and heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat
4) Cook onions for 5 minutes stirring occasionally
5) Add mushroom stems and cook for 3 minutes or until soft
6) Add garlic and stir, cook for 1 more minute
7) Place spinach in a heat resistant bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 1 minute.
8) Drain and rinse spinach under cold water, squeezing out extra liquid
9) Chop spinach finely and place back in bowl.
10) Add onion mixture, ricotta, lemon rind, oregano, tomato and ham and season with pepper.
11) On a large non-stick baking tray, place mushrooms open-side up.
12) Spoon mixture into each mushroom cup.
13) Cover tray with foil and roast for 15 minutes.
14) Remove foil and roast for another 10 minutes until soft.
15) Serve immediately and enjoy!
*Because the ricotta and ham are thoroughly cooked, they are both safe to eat during pregnancy.
Recipe transcribed from: Gestational Diabetes Recipes