Looking for the perfect salad for pregnancy? Try this super food salad filled with folate and more than 5 grams of omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3s are vital for baby’s visual, cognitive and nervous system development and are great for mom’s health too.
- ¼ cup and 2 tablespoons of pomegranate juice
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Kosher salt
- ½ cup of coarsely chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup of thinly sliced red onion
- One 5-ounce container of baby spinach
- 4 ounces of white button mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
- ¾ cup of grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Combine ¼ cup of pomegranate juice with sugar and ¼ teaspoon salt in a small nonstick skillet.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add walnuts and continue to cook, stirring until nuts are coated and dark and the liquid evaporates. Transfer to a baking sheet to cool.
- Once cool, break nuts apart using your hands.
- Meanwhile, soak the red onion in ice water for 10 minutes, drain, and pat dry.
- Place spinach in a bowl and top with onions, mushrooms, tomato and walnuts.
- In a bowl, whisk the remaining 2 tablespoons of juice with the vinegar, ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper and then whisk in the oil.
- Drizzle dressing over salad, toss and serve.
Recipe transcribed from: Food network