Getting enough protein during pregnancy can be tough if you’re a vegetarian. This savory vegetarian recipe is not only full of protein but much needed fiber too! Served as a main dish or a side, these Lentil Stuffed Peppers are sure to fill you up.
- 1 cup of red lentils
- 4 red or green peppers, halved and deseeded
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 1 ¾ cup of chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup of vegetable stock
- ¼ teaspoon of dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- ½ cup of spinach, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Juice of ½ lemon
Lemon Breadcrumb Topping Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 of a cup of whole wheat breadcrumbs
- ¼ teaspoon of thyme
- Grated zest of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Put lentils and 2 cups of water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside and drain lentils.
- Heat olive oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and grated carrot and sauté for five minutes.
- Add garlic, zucchini, tomatoes, vegetable stock and dried herbs and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and add spinach and lentils. Season with pepper and pinch of salt.
- Place the pepper halves cut-side up on a lightly greased baking sheet and fill with lentil mixture, distributing evenly.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice over top of peppers, then cover with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- To make the topping, heat olive oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and thyme and cook for several minutes until breadcrumbs are well coated.
- Add lemon zest and parsley and remove from heat.
- After 20-30 minutes, uncover peppers and sprinkle with topping. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes until the top is golden brown and the peppers are soft.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Recipe transcribed from: Mother & Baby