There are ways to feel like you are indulging during pregnancy and still be healthy! These Vegan Blueberry Pancakes are a delicious and hearty breakfast treat that are packed with pregnancy essentials like fiber, folate, calcium and protein.
- 1 1/3 cups of plain, unsweetened soymilk
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed
- ¼ cup of hot water
- 1 1/3 cups of whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2/3 cup of cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups of blueberries
- 1 cup of pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Canola oil
- Whisk together soy milk and lemon juice in a large mixing bowl. Let mixture sit for 5-10 minutes to thicken into a buttermilk-like consistency.
- Stir ground flaxseed and hot water together in a small bowl. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes to thicken.
- Add flaxseed mixture and canola oil to the bowl with the buttermilk and whisk to combine.
- Whisk together flour, cornmeal, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until combined and fold in blueberries. If batter is too thick, add additional soy milk to thin.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet or nonstick griddle over medium heat. Once pan is hot, brush with a thin layer of oil. Spoon ¼ cup of batter onto the griddle for each pancake.
- Cook for 2 minutes, until batter begins to bubble and the bottoms are golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Top pancakes with a sprinkle of pecans, any extra blueberries and a dusting of confectioner’s sugar.
Recipe transcribed from: fit PREGNANCY and baby