After giving birth and amidst the exhaustion of caring for a newborn, comfort foods may be all you want. Try this delicious chicken soup recipe that is not only healthy and rich in protein and vitamins, but will also give your lactation a boost!
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup of button mushrooms
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cups of baby potatoes, cut into small pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 cup of water
- ½ cup of pearl barley, rinsed under cold water
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add oil and onion. Cook until onion softens, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, carrots, potatoes and garlic. Cook until mushrooms are soft, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add broth, water and barley. Boil and then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer covered until barley is tender for approximately 25 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and peas until chicken is cooked through, approximately 10 minutes.
Recipe transcribed from: Today's Parent